If anybody wants to help tidying this, pick your poison (either the Riverside, Prestige or Blue Note catalogs) and jump in. Also needed: ground work on the late live period (bootleg knowledge could help), and the early recordings (inc. Xanadu).
The Master Plan
Be the #1 resource on Thelonious Monk recordings, and actually outperform best-of-breed disco informations provided by the labels in their complete boxset releases.
All albums "quickly" verified as "album" and marked with the label name.
All discids reviewed.
All compilations have at least:
* titling ok
* random release infos in the annot
* status verified
* Discogs/AMZ searched and possibly set
* may need release date verification
Additionally, all "complete X" compilation are all good.
Going through the Columbia vaults: preliminary documentation work up to (included) It's Monk's Time.
Needs to add (Columbia):
* Who's Afraid ...?
* Big Band and Quartet (original release)
* Live at Newport (original release).
* punch in and mark discIDs for the boxes I have.
* link to originals and cross check titles
A stab at the horrible Blue Note mess:
The What The Fuck Serie:
BN 1062: ? wtf ?
BN 1558: maybe this is a typo for BLP 1558, Sonny Rollins, Volume 2
Blue Note 28263: "Straight, No Chaser" ?wtf?
66119/66120 Blue Note Japan 2006 ? Complete Genius?
6474 Genius 2 Japan?
1980 Japan King K23P-6722 "Genius Monk"
Some tidbits about BN (stolen from microgroove - http://microgroove.jp/bluenote-jpn/):
* The "1200" series consists of 8 records by either Sidney Bechet or George Lewis, reissuing earlier 78 and 10 inch releases.
* The "1500" series commenced in 1955, with catalogue numbers starting at 1501, and running through 1600, released in 1958. The early releases in this series are reissues of earliier 10" releases primarily from the early 50's, including records by Miles Davis, Thelonious Monk, Art Blakey, Bud Powell and others.
* The "4000" series starts with 4001 ("Newk's Time" by Sonny Rollins, released in mono in 1958, stereo, 1959, the year of the first Blue Note stereo releases), and peters out about 400 releases later, (although as noted things get very spotty after around 4250).
* The first number with a stereo release was 1562 - "The Stylings of Silver" by Horace Silver, although it was not released until two years after the initial 1957 mono release. There are stereo releases of all subsequent records, except for Sonny Rollins' "A Night at the Village Vanguard" (1582), although some of these only became available in the context of later reissue series. (For example, the stereo release of Johnny Griffin's "The Congregation" first appeared in 1994 as part of the Connoisseur series.) 1500 series stereo releases have the same catalogue numbers as their mono counterparts; in the 4000 series, stereo releases have an 8 prefixed (e.g. the stereo release of the aforementioned "Newk's Time" is 84001). (In referring to records in this series, I will use the 4000 number, although all of these I own, save one, are stereo.) There are "electronically rechanneled stereo" releases, dating from the 60's and 70's of mono-only recordings. Some of these, however, are in fact just the monos; check the inner margin, and see if there is the mono catalogue number engraved (i.e. without a prefixed 8). There are also two issues from 1962 on the 9000 series of vocal releases, 9001 "My Hour of Need" by Dodo Greene and 9002 "Portrait of Sheila" by Sheila Jordan.
Last infos for the road:
Evonce / Off Minor
Idrees Sulieman (tp) Danny Quebec West (as) Billy Smith (ts) Thelonious Monk (p) Gene Ramey (b) Art Blakey (d)
WOR Studios, NYC, October 15, 1947
Thelonious Monk (p) Gene Ramey (b) Art Blakey (d)
WOR Studios, NYC, October 24, 1947
BN317-1 Off Minor
In Walked Bud / Epistrophy
George Taitt (tp) Sahib Shihab (as) Thelonious Monk (p) Bob Paige (b) Art Blakey (d)
WOR Studios, NYC, November 21, 1947
BN318-3 In Walked Bud
Milt Jackson (vib) Thelonious Monk (p) John Simmons (b) Shadow Wilson (d)
Apex Studios, NYC, July 2, 1948
10" 78 RPM (500 serie):
BN 542: Suburban Eyes c/w Thelonious
BN 543: Well, You Needn't c/w 'Round About Midnight
BN 547: Evonce c/w Off Minor
BN 548: In Walked Bud c/w Epistrophy
BN 549: Ruby, My Dear c/w Evidence
BN 560: Humph c/w Misterioso
10" 78 RPM (1500 serie):
BN 1564: Thelonious Monk - I Mean You c/w Tadd Dameron - Symphonette
BN 1565: Monk's Mood c/w Who Knows
BN 1575: Nice Work If You Can Get It c/w April In Paris
BN 1589: Four In One c/w Straight, No Chaser
BN 1590: Criss Cross c/w Eronel
BN 1591: Ask Me Now c/w Willow Weep For Me
10" 78 RPM (1600 serie):
BN 1602: Skippy c/w Let's Cool One
BN 1603: Hornin' In c/w Carolina Moon
10" 78 RPM (1200 serie):
BN 1201: All The Things You Are c/w I Should Care
7" 45 RPM (1600 serie):
45-1646 Milt Jackson - Lillie c/w Willow Weep For Me
45-1664 'Round About Midnight c/w In Walked Bud
10" LP (5000 serie):
BLP 5002: Genius of Modern Music
* TOJJ-5002 Feb. 24, 1999 Japan "Original 10-inch LP Collection from BN5000 Part 1", Limited Edition, by Toshiba EMI
BLP 5009: Genius of Modern Music, Volume 2
* TOJJ-5009 Feb. 24, 1999 Japan "Original 10-inch LP Collection from BN5000 Part 1", Limited Edition, by Toshiba EMI
BLP 5011: Milt Jackson - Wizard Of The Vibes
* BN0005 Japan Mar. 27, 1991 “Blue Note Original 5000 Series Collection”, Limited Edition, by Toshiba EMI
* TOJJ-5011 Feb. 24, 1999 Japan "Original 10-inch LP Collection from BN5000 Part 1", Limited Edition, by Toshiba EMI
12" LP (1500 serie):
BLP 1509: Milt Jackson And The Thelonious Monk Quintet
* Nov. 25, 1970 Japan as NR-8835
* (?) Japan LNJ-70089 (this serie very cahotic)
* GXK-8034 (M) (1977-1980 "Blue Note Masterpiece Selection 150" Series, by King Records)
* BLP 1509 Japan Sep. 1983? "Blue Note BLP 1500" Series Part 1, by Toshiba EMI
* Reissued as BLJ/BST 81509 (?)
BLP 1510: Genius Of Modern Music, Volume 1
* Nov. 25, 1970 Japan as NR-8836
* (?) Japan LNJ-70090 (this serie very cahotic)
* 1977 Japan Limited Edition, King GXF-3014 (M)
* GXK-8058 (M) (1977-1980 "Blue Note Masterpiece Selection 150" Series, by King Records)
* BLP 1510 Japan Sep. 1983? "Blue Note BLP 1500" Series Part 1, by Toshiba EMI
* Reissued as BST 81510 (?) PM 251 (?)
BLP 1511: Genius Of Modern Music, Volume 2
* (?) Japan LNJ-70090 (this serie very cahotic)
* GXK-8059 (M) (1977-1980 "Blue Note Masterpiece Selection 150" Series, by King Records)
* BLP 1511 Japan Sep. 1983? "Blue Note BLP 1500" Series Part 1, by Toshiba EMI
BLP 1558: Sonny Rollins, Volume 2 (is this the same as BN 1558?)
* 1971/01/25 Japan NR-8841
* (?) Japan LNJ-70086 (this serie very cahotic)
* GXK-8035 (M) (1977-1980 "Blue Note Masterpiece Selection 150" Series, by King Records)
* BLP 1558 Japan Mar. 21, 1984 "Blue Note BLP 1500" Series Part 5, by Toshiba EMI
* Reissued as CD B21Y81558 (?) and a shitload other remastered/tweaked versions
Modern Jazz New 4400 series (12" LP)
BST2 84429 Various Artists - The Best Of Blue Note, Vol. 1
BST2 84433 Various Artists - The Best Of Blue Note, Vol. 2
Special Issues 1001/2001 series (12" LP)
BLP 1001 Various Artists - 25 Years Blue Note: Anniversary Album
BLP 2001 Various Artists - Blue Note Gems Of Jazz
Modern Jazz New 89900 series (12" LP):
BST 89902 Various Artists - Blue Note's Three Decades Of Jazz 1939-1949
BST 89903 Various Artists - Blue Note's Three Decades Of Jazz 1949-1959
United Artists BN-LA series (12" LP):
BN-LA 158-G2 Various Artists - Decades Of Jazz, Vol. 1
BN-LA 159-G2 Various Artists - Decades Of Jazz, Vol. 2
BN-LA 401-H2 Sonny Rollins Best Album
BN-LA 579-H2 Thelonious Monk - The Complete Genius (*) see supposed tracklist below
BNJ series (12" LP):
TOCJ series (CD):
TOCJ 1604 Thelonious Monk - Genius Of Modern Music, Vol. 3 (exact title unknown)
The Complete Genius supposed tracklist
3 Suburban Eyes
5 Nice Work If You Can Get It
6 Ruby, My Dear
7 Well, You Needn't
8 April in Paris
9 Off Minor
11 In Walked Bud
12 Monk's Mood
13 'Round Midnight
14 All the Things You Are
15 I Should Care
17 Misterioso MST, Alt
19 I Mean You
20 Four in One MST, Alt
23 Straight, No Chaser
24 Ask My Now
25 Willow Weep for Me
27 Hornin' In
28 Carolina Moon
29 Let's Cool One
Unsorted stuff (late cd issues/sets)
Toshiba CJ28-5114: Genius of Modern Music, Volume 1
Toshiba CJ28-5115: Genius of Modern Music, Volume 2
Toshiba CJ28-5116: Genius of Modern Music, Volume 3
==== Late discoveries and boxset ===
MR4-101: Thelonious Monk - "The Complete Blue Note Recordings of Thelonious Monk" - Mosaic Records 4-LP Limited Edition box set
1 2 3 4
This contains all Blue Note material that was both known and not lost at that time :p
CDP 99786 (or 799786): "Live at the Five Spot. Discovery !" (initial release with wrong pitch?)
Resurfaced from Naima Coltrane private tapes.
Blue Note CD 35173: At Carnegie Hall
Found by mistake in Carnegie Hall library :p
Blue Note CD - 23518-2 : Jazz Profile - Thelonious Monk
Blue Note CD - BN 95636 : "The Best of the Blue Note Years"
CEMA-Capitol S41 57588 / CD 57588: "Round Midnight & Other Jazz Classics"
Blue Note CD 77389: The Very Best